Access to Information on the Environment
Access to Information on the Environment (AIE) Regulations 2007 to 2018
The European Communities (Access to Information on the Environment) Regulations 2007 to 2018 give legal rights to those seeking access to information on the environment from public authorities. Under the Regulations, information relating to the environment held by, or for, a public authority must, subject to certain exceptions, be made available on request to any person.
Making an AIE request
Applications under the Regulations for information on the environment should be made in writing to the following address:
Regulatory & Administration Unit,
Transport Infrastructure Ireland,
Parkgate Business Centre,
By email to AIE@tii.ie
The request should:
- state that the application is being made under the AIE Regulations;
- provide daytime contact details;
- clearly indicate the specific environmental information required, and
- specify the form and manner of access desired.
It should be clearly indicated that the request is being made under the provisions of the Access to Information on the Environment (AIE) Regulations. Please be as specific as possible when detailing your request so as to enable the staff of TII process your application. Also, please include a daytime contact telephone number so that we can contact you should any clarification be required in relation to your request.
Normally, decisions on requests made under the Regulations are notified within one month of their receipt by TII.
Charges/fees for information provided under the AIE Regulations
There are no charges for submitting a request for environmental information under the AIE Regulations.
Search & Retrieval Fees
Search and retrieval costs are charged at €20 per person per hour, subject to the following:
- No charge is applied if the search & retrieval time takes less than 5 hours (i.e. cost of €100 or less).
- If the charge exceeds €100, full fees will apply, subject to a maximum fee of €500, as set out in the following bullet.
- If the estimated cost would exceed €700 (i.e. 35 hours), TII may refuse to process the request unless the requester is prepared to refine the request to bring the search, retrieval and copying fees below the €700 limit.
Copies of Records
The following charges apply for copying records:
- €0.04 per sheet for a photocopy.
- €10 for a CD-ROM.
Details of actual charges relating to your request will be notified to you in writing.
Payments should be made by way of cheque made payable to “Transport Infrastructure Ireland” (for requests from members of the public) or by electronic funds transfer (for requests from businesses). Details of the electronic funds transfer are available from our Finance Unit, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
6 Earlsfort Terrace,
Please note that TII will process any personal data that you provide to us in accordance with our Data Protection Notice, which is available here