Bridges & Tunnels
Eirspan is Ireland's Bridge Management System
In 2001 the Eirspan bridge management system was introduced to coordinate and integrate activities such as inspections, repairs and rehabilitation work to ensure optimal management of the national road structure stock.
The following paper summarises the reasons for the introduction of the system and gives a review of the distinct activities included in Eirspan. It is reproduced from the proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers' Bridge Engineering Journal with the permission of the Institution of Civil Engineers (http://www.ice.org.uk/) and Thomas Telford Ltd.
- Information on the development of Eirspan: Ireland's bridge management system. Bridge Engineering 157 Issue BE3 (PDF file).
- Principal Inspection Manual_RevC_Jan08, is the third in a series of manuals on the management of existing bridges in accordance with the Irish Structure Management System, EIRSPAN. The manual gives a detailed description of the technical and administrative basis for the principal inspection. The system is based upon the principles of the Danish DANBRO Bridge Management System.This manual can be downloaded here.
- The Inventory manual RevC Jan 08 is the second in a series of manuals which have been produced by the NRA to describe fully the operation of the Eirspan Bridge Management System. Whilst the first manual in the series describes in general the operation of the Eirspan system, this and all following manuals describe in detail the various modules within Eirspan. This can be downloaded here.
- Eurocodes - Toward 2010 and National Implementation: There are 10 Eurocodes, comprising of 58 individual parts, covering 10 design areas. The first two areas (basis of design and actions or loading) are common to all designs, the next six are material specific and the two remaining codes cover geotechnical & seismic aspects.
Information on these eurocodes can be downloaded here.
- Information on the Eurocodes National Application Status - Dec 2007 can be downloaded here.