Dunkettle Interchange Traffic 24th October Link Openings: Summary
1. At 06:00am on Monday 24th October, as part of the Dunkettle Interchange Upgrade:
- A new one-way road link will open providing a direct route for outbound traffic from Cork City to Glanmire-Glounthaune (Labelled ‘1A’ on the image below).
- A new two-way north-south road will open, immediately to the east of the existing Dunkettle Interchange, crossing over the N25 via a new bridge and linking to the Regional Road (R623) on Little Island (Labelled ‘1B’ on the image below).
Taken together, the new road links will provide better local connections, reduce traffic volumes on the existing Dunkettle and Little Island Interchanges, and improve access to the west side of Little Island.
2. Immediately following these openings, the ‘Ibis Slip Road’ connecting the Glanmire-Glounthaune road to the M8 southbound will close (labelled ‘2’ on the image below). Traffic will instead be directed via a temporary route using the new bridge over the N25.
Figure 1: Road Links Opening and Closing on Monday 24th October
3. The new north-south route over the N25 incorporates dedicated facilities for both Active and Public Transport consisting of a northbound bus lane south of the N25, and a segregated two-way cycle/ pedestrian path, incorporating a new bridge over the railway.
- This new section will result in 2.5 kilometres of continuous Active Travel Route delivered as part of the Interchange Upgrade, (highlighted in yellow on the image below).
Figure 2: Cycle / Pedestrian Links Opening and Closing on Monday 24th October