N/M20 Cork to Limerick - Project Update
Limerick City and County Council is progressing the development of the N/M20 Cork to Limerick project in partnership with Cork County Council, Cork City Council, Transport Infrastructure Ireland and the Department of Transport. The project is a priority investment in the Government's National Development Plan 2021-2030.
Limerick City and County Council published the N/M20 Preferred Transport Solution in March 2022, following the conclusion of the Phase 2 Options Selection process. That solution is not limited to consideration of a single mode of transport but is based upon a holistic, multi modal view to improving connectivity, safety, and economic links between the cities of Cork and Limerick, and ultimately Galway. The project team have continued to progress the development of the N/M20 Cork to Limerick project and are currently progressing Phase 3 Design and Environmental Evaluation.
Following consideration of extensive feedback received from the public and of evolving climate, environmental, and transport policy, a project update has been published on the following elements:
- The provision of 80km of Active Travel infrastructure for walking and cycling, enhancing the health and wellbeing of our communities and making them more accessible and attractive for everyone,
- The Junction Strategy, with nine (9 no.) junction locations identified which will provide connectivity with the communities of Blarney, Rathduff, Mourneabbey, Mallow, Buttevant, Charleville, Bruree, and Croom and connecting with the national road network at Attyflin near Patrickswell,
- The provision of Mobility Hubs at the junctions with secure parking, EV charging, effective active travel and public transport linkages to nearby communities, offering greater travel choice and modal change opportunities,
- Opportunities to enhance Public Transport and encourage transfer to bus and rail,
- The Alternative Grey Area at Ballyhea has been removed from the study area, and
- An Alternative Grey Area at Rathduff has been included in the study area for consideration.
Further details and maps on the project update are available on the project website and from the N/M20 Project Office in Lissanalta House, Dooradoyle, Limerick, V94 H5RR. Property owners and other stakeholders within the study area were notified by post of this update. The project team continues to welcome feedback from property owners, communities, businesses and other stakeholders. The project team will continue to progress the design and environmental evaluation of the project with further updates scheduled in 2023.