“Thank You” for all those who delivered the Luas Capacity Enhancement Project
To thank all of their staff in France, in the UK and in Ireland and the TII staff involved in the successful completion of their last two major Luas initiatives i.e. (a) the Vehicle Extension Contract (VEC) whereby the twenty-six Green Line 43m-long Citadis 402-type LRVs were extended to 55m in length to become “Citadis 502s” and; (b) the provision of eight new 55m-long Citadis 502s.
Together, these formed the concluding two elements of the Green Line Capacity Enhancement (GLCE) project and facilitate GLCE’s ultimate aims to be made manifest.
The completion of these two initiatives also marks the end of Alstom’s continuous involvement in “Luas” with overlapping, major contracts since 1999 when the first contract for the supply by them of twenty-six 30m-long and fourteen 40m-long LRVs was signed. Hence the video was somewhat more than just relating to the recent tram extensions and new tram supply initiatives.
Alstom’s major inputs to Luas, in sequence, was as follows:
- 1999 – 2002 : Supply of twenty-six Citadis 301-type Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs) for the Red Line & fourteen Citadis 401s for the Green Line
- 2004 – 2019 : Fifteen Year-long Maintenance Contracts – Vehicles & Infrastructure
- 2005 – 2007 : Extension of Red Line Citadis 301s to become Citadis 401s,
- 2007 – 2009 : Transfer of the fourteen Citadis 401s on the Green Line to the Red Line with the supply of twenty-six new 43m-long Citadis 402s to the Green Line
- 2008 – 2011 : Support to Luas Network Extensions – Connolly to The Point; Sandyford to Bride’s Glen and Red Line Citywest line
- 2014 – 2017 : Support to the Green Line extension to Broombridge inclusive of Hamilton Depot Design support; Supply of seven new 55m-long Citadis 502 LRVs
- 2016 – 2021 : Support to the Green Line Infrastructure Upgrade (GLIU) & the Green Line Capacity Enhancement (GLCE) projects, inclusive of Sandyford Depot Extension design support
- 2019 – 2021 : Extension of 26 Green Line Citadis 402-type LRVs to become 55m-long Citadis 502-type LRVs – as part of the GLCE project
- 2020 – 2021 : Supply of 8 new 55m-long Citadis 502-type LRVs – as part of the GLCE project