Road to TRA2024
Background to TRA
The Transport Research Arena (TRA) conference is now firmly established and has become one of the preeminent transport conferences that is organised every two years in a different European city. The target groups of the TRA include the research and academia community, the industry and private sector, policy-makers as well as public administrations active within the field of transport. The mission of the Transport Research Arena (TRA) is to support the alignment and cooperation of European, national, and regional research, innovation and deployment actions in transport by enhancing the networking and clustering of Europe’s research, innovation and development capacity based on strategic research, innovation and deployment frameworks on a shared agenda.
The first TRA conference was held in Goteburg, Sweden, in 2006 and since then has become a key European transport conference for presenting the latest research and innovation in the transport sector, covering all modes of transport: road, rail, water, aviation as well as cross-modality and passenger/freight transport in urban and inter-urban settings. The conference addresses the main challenges in transport and mobility of people and goods, with respect to energy, environment, safety and security and socio-economic issues. It aims to explore the most advanced research works and innovations, the latest technological and industrial developments and implementations, and innovative policies, in Europe and worldwide. As a wide forum open to all interested parties, it is a unique occasion to promote transport.
TRA provides the arena for:
- Research, industry, public administrations, transport operators, users and other stakeholders across all transport modes
- Policy makers framing research and transport policy
- New ideas, technological solutions and new business models
- Experiencing the future of transport and mobility
- Mobilising the best brains and exchanges of information and best practices
TRA is co-organised by the European Commission and a number of European transport-related organisations covering all transport modes. The organisers are:
- The European Commission
- Conference of European Directors of Roads (CEDR)
- European Road Transport Research Advisory Council (ERTRAC)
- European Rail Research Advisory Council (ERRAC)
- European Technology Platform Waterborne (Waterborne)
- European Technology Platform Alliance for Logistics Innovation through Collaboration in Europe (ALICE)
- European Construction, built environment and energy efficient building Technology Platform (ECTP)
- Advisory Council for Aviation Research and Innovation in Europe (ACARE)
- European Transport Research Alliance (ETRA)
- The hosts of the upcoming TRA - once the selection process has been completed
Ireland has been approved as the host of TRA2024 in April 2024 by TRAManagement Committee.
The Call for Abstracts for the conference, to be held in Lisbon on 14-17 November 2022, is open, with a submission deadline of 30 November 2021 - see https://traconference.eu/tra2022-submission-guidelines/
The first TRA2022 webinar on 18 October 2021 at 15:00-16:30 CET under title "Getting to know TRA2022"
This first TRA2022 webinar session will focus on the main themes and sessions of the conference, the call for abstracts and TRA Visions competition.
Please register here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3059237590798599694
See agenda here: https://traconference.eu/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/TRA2022-Webinar-Agenda_Draft.pdf
This is the first webinar of the series of TRA2022 events ahead of the conference planned in November 2022.
We would like to thank you for your participation, engagement, and for making this event such a success. If you have missed the webinar, don't worry! A full video recording of the webinar is available on YouTube. Below you can download the presentations:
- Manuela Flachi, Magellan, Welcome - TRA Lisbon 2022, setting the scene
- José M. Viegas - Pitfalls in a quick decarbonization path for personal mobility
- Luis Picado, University of Lisbon - Call for abstracts and scientific sessions
- Patrick Mercier - Handisyde, European Commission - Strategic ssessions
- George Smyrnakis, WEGEMT - TRA Visions competition
This is the first webinar of the series of TRA2022 events ahead of the conference planned in November 2022. Stay tuned for the next event and follow our social media to keep up to date: LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook